Nancy Guthrie Investigation Faces Fresh Criticism as Sheriff’s Department Insider Questions Early Handling of Case

More than six months after Nancy Guthrie vanished from her home near Tucson, Arizona, a prominent voice inside the Pima County Sheriff’s Department has publicly questioned critical choices made in the opening days of the investigation. Sergeant Aaron Cross, president of the Pima County Deputies Organization, described what he called a “big misstep” and argued that limited experience among key personnel and the quick return of the crime scene hindered the probe from the start.

In comments reported on August 15, 2026, Cross said the decision to give the family access to Nancy’s residence the day after she was reported missing was a major error. He stated that this view is shared by many detectives within the department and members of the local community, adding that there was no clear reason to release the scene so soon. Cross argued that preserving exclusive control of the property for a longer period would have allowed investigators more time to process evidence thoroughly.

Cross also raised concerns about the experience level of the team ᴀssigned to the case. He noted that the lead sergeant had only been promoted in 2023 and had moved rapidly from patrol duties into the homicide unit without prior specialized experience. According to Cross, most of the detectives working the investigation had three years of experience or less. He described this level of background as inadequate for a complex, high-profile disappearance and said such ᴀssignments were “almost unheard of” before Sheriff Chris Nanos took office.
The union president placed primary responsibility for these personnel decisions on Sheriff Nanos. Cross claimed that under previous leadership, newer detectives would typically be paired with more seasoned investigators for mentoring rather than being given primary responsibility on a major case so early. He further stated that some of the department’s most experienced homicide detectives had been transferred out of the unit following disagreements with command staff on an unrelated investigation, leaving the team thinner when the Guthrie case began.

Nancy Guthrie, 84, was last seen on the evening of January 31, 2026, after being dropped off at her Catalina Foothills home. She was reported missing the next day when she failed to appear at church. Investigators later released images of an unidentified masked person at her front door and made public the contents of two ransom notes received in early February. One note claimed she was alive and demanded millions in cryptocurrency; a second claimed she had died shortly after being taken. Despite these developments and a $1 million reward offered by her family, no suspects have been publicly identified.

The investigation remains active and is being handled as a joint effort involving local and federal authorities. Cross’s public criticism adds to ongoing scrutiny of how the case has been managed, including earlier questions about coordination with the FBI and the overall direction of the probe. Sheriff Nanos has previously defended the department’s handling of the investigation and rejected claims that federal partners were excluded. As of mid-August 2026, the search for Nancy Guthrie continues without a major breakthrough.
Sources: https://www.tvinsider.com/1281745/nancy-guthrie-update-pima-county-deputies-president-aaron-cross-slams-big-misstep-investigation-blames-chris-nanos/