Former Compton Gang Figure Refuses to Name Names in Explosive Tupac M@rder Testimony

A tense courtroom confrontation erupted Tuesday when former Compton gang member James “Mob James” McDonald refused to provide prosecutors with the answers they were seeking in the long-running case surrounding the 1996 murder of Tupac Shakur.

McDonald, a former member of the Mob Piru gang and a longtime ᴀssociate of Death Row Records boss Suge Knight, repeatedly pushed back against questions about the decades-old rivalry between the Mob Piru and South Side Compton Crips.

Rather than revisit the violent history surrounding Tupac’s death, McDonald made it clear that he had no intention of helping prosecutors build their case against 63-year-old Duane “Keffe D” Davis.

“I’m aware of a lot of things. Things that was going on. People ain’t talked about it in 30 years. Today ain’t one of them,” McDonald told the court.

His refusal became one of the most dramatic moments of the testimony.

McDonald acknowledged that he knew important details about the people involved and said he was aware of who was present around the time of the fatal Las Vegas shooting. But when pressed to identify individuals or discuss the aftermath of the killing, he repeatedly declined.

“Me or anybody else raising up the ᴅᴇᴀᴅ is wrong,” McDonald said, signaling that he wanted the past to remain in the past.

The former gang figure also made an extraordinary statement about Davis, his former rival.

“I don’t want to send [Davis] to prison. Even though we don’t like each other,” McDonald declared.

Prosecutors allege that Davis played a central role in the plot that ultimately led to Tupac’s death. According to their theory, Davis provided a firearm to his nephew, Orlando Anderson, after a confrontation involving Anderson and members of Tupac’s group.

Tupac was sH๏τ in a drive-by attack on the Las Vegas Strip in September 1996 and died several days later from his injuries. The case remained unresolved for more than two decades before Davis was arrested and charged.

Davis has acknowledged being present during the events surrounding the shooting and has previously said that Anderson was the person who fired the sH๏τs. However, he has denied giving an order to kill Tupac.

McDonald’s testimony was expected to potentially shed light on the relationships and tensions between the rival groups. Instead, his reluctance created another dramatic obstacle for prosecutors.

At one point, McDonald appeared visibly frustrated with Davis’ defense attorney, Michael Sanft.

“You’re asking me something that’s gonna hurt this dude!” McDonald said during the heated exchange.

He argued that answering certain questions could reopen old wounds and potentially cause consequences for people who had spent decades trying to move beyond their former lives.

McDonald also spoke about protecting his family and leaving his previous life behind.

The former Death Row ᴀssociate had reportedly been involved in security operations for Suge Knight in Las Vegas at the time of the shooting. Knight and Tupac were traveling in the city when the attack occurred.

That connection made McDonald a potentially significant witness, particularly because of his knowledge of the people surrounding Knight and Tupac during that period.

Yet despite repeated questioning, he refused to provide the names prosecutors appeared to be seeking.

As the testimony became increasingly heated, the courtroom descended into a shouting match.

“I’m not answering nothing. I don’t know what you’re talking about,” McDonald said.

He then turned toward Davis and delivered another striking message.

“Cover your lawyer, man. That dude is trippin’.”

But McDonald’s most revealing remark came moments later.

“I’m not gonna send him to prison. You are,” he said, referring to Davis and the legal proceedings against his former rival.

The exchange underscored just how difficult it can be for prosecutors to revisit events that occurred nearly 30 years ago. Many of the people connected to the original feud are ᴅᴇᴀᴅ, while others have moved on from the street conflicts that defined their younger years.

For prosecutors, McDonald’s testimony appeared to offer limited support for their effort to establish Davis’ alleged role in the killing.

For the defense, however, his refusal to accuse Davis directly could become an important part of the courtroom narrative.

The case continues to draw intense public attention because of the enduring mystery surrounding one of hip-hop’s most famous unsolved killings.

Tupac Shakur’s death has remained the subject of speculation, competing theories and renewed investigations for decades. The prosecution now faces the challenge of presenting evidence from a period when witnesses, rivalries and loyalties were deeply intertwined.

And on Tuesday, one former Compton gang figure made one thing unmistakably clear:

He knows more than he is willing to say.

After nearly three decades of silence, McDonald appeared determined to keep it that way.

Tupac murder trial: A witness with decades-old knowledge took the stand — but instead of revealing the secrets prosecutors wanted, he drew a hard line and refused to name names.

 

Source: New York Post