Allen Lazard may not be done with Jets just yet

Allen Lazard may not be done with Jets just yet

PALM BEACH, Fla. — Don’t say goodbye to Allen Lazard just yet, Jets fans.

General manager Darren Mougey said Sunday that the team is trying to work through a contract restructure with Lazard, who most people anticipated the team would cut.

Mougey said they are “working through that” right now when asked about Lazard.

When pressed what he meant, he said they are discussing a contract restructure.

Mougey said they want Lazard to be on the team.

“That’s the hope,” Mougey said. “We’ll work through that.”

Jets wide receiver Allen Lazard is unable to complete a reception and drops the ball during the first quarter.
Jets wide receiver Allen Lazard has two years left on his current contract.
N.Y. Post: Charles Wenzelberg

Lazard signed a four-year, $44 million contract with the Jets in 2023.

He has two years left on that deal that calls him to be paid $11 million this season and carry a $13.2 million salary cap number.

The Jets signed Lazard a month before trading for Aaron Rodgers in 2023, reuniting the two former Packers.

The Lazard move was seen as part of the team’s effort to make Rodgers feel comfortable with the Jets.

When the team moved on from Rodgers this offseason, the expectation was that Lazard would not be far behind him.

The team gave Lazard’s agent permission to seek a trade but nothing has developed.

Mougey said any contract extensions would come after the NFL draft.

There is an expectation that 2022 first-round picks Garrett Wilson and Sauce Gardner will seek extensions during this offseason, their first chance at doing so.

Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner does not have an interception this season.
Jets cornerback Sauce Gardner Bill Kostroun / New York Post

Alijah Vera-Tucker and Quincy Williams also could look for extensions entering the final years of their contracts.

“In regard to extensions in general, there’s been a lot of talk about that,” Mougey said. “We have several players whether it’s early extensions or just players we can extend in the last year. Those are good problems to have. We’re having those discussions and those are good discussions to have but right now my focus is on the draft. Once we get through the draft, we’ll talk about potential extensions for whoever that may be.”

Mougey said Vera-Tucker will stay at guard but mentioned his ability to play tackle as a plus.

He also said free agent signee Josh Myers will “push” Joe Tippmann at center.

Related Posts

Taylor Swift facing travel chaos to watch Travis Kelce and the Chiefs’ first game next season

Taylor Swift facing travel chaos to watch Travis Kelce and the Chiefs’ first game next season

Taylor Swift may have to jet overseas for the Kansas City Chiefs’ opening game in the 2025 NFL season. The NFL is having the Los Angeles Chargers…

Eagles risk Donald Trump’s wrath as owner Jeffrey Lurie makes statement over Super Bowl White House visit

Eagles risk Donald Trump’s wrath as owner Jeffrey Lurie makes statement over Super Bowl White House visit

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie has risked angering President Donald Trump after he said the team’s Super Bowl White House visit was ‘optional.’ After beating the Chiefs in…

Kansas City Chiefs make shock NFL request that could badly impact Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift

Kansas City Chiefs make shock NFL request that could badly impact Travis Kelce and Taylor Swift

The Kansas City Chiefs have requested to play on Christmas Day every year, according to reports. Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce and Co. have played on December 25…

Deshaun Watson issues cryptic response after Cleveland Browns owner called him ‘a big miss’

Deshaun Watson issues cryptic response after Cleveland Browns owner called him ‘a big miss’

Deshaun Watson made a cryptic social media post on Tuesday after receiving some scathing criticism from Browns owner Jimmy Haslam. Haslam told reporters at the league’s annual…

BREAKING NEWSTaylor Swift reacts to Kylie and Jason Kelce welcoming the birth of their new daughter

BREAKING NEWSTaylor Swift reacts to Kylie and Jason Kelce welcoming the birth of their new daughter

Taylor Swift has joined in with sending her congratulations to Kylie and Jason Kelce after they introduced their new daughter, Finnley, to the world via social media. …

Travis and Jason Kelce slam ‘bogus’ efforts to get the ‘tush push’ banned from the NFL

Travis and Jason Kelce slam ‘bogus’ efforts to get the ‘tush push’ banned from the NFL

Travis and Jason Kelce are not on board with the efforts to have the ‘tush push’ banned from the NFL. The short-yardage play – which has been…