BREAKING NEWSNFL chief speaks out on Super Bowl security as New Orleans takes emergency measures after terror attack

BREAKING NEWSNFL chief speaks out on Super Bowl security as New Orleans takes emergency measures after terror attack

The NFL’s head of security insists she is ‘really confident’ in their Super Bowl security plan in the wake of the ᴅᴇᴀᴅly terror attack in New Orleans.

Fourteen people were killed and dozens were injured when Shamsud-Din Jabbar rammed his truck into people celebrating New Year’s Eve.

The attack sparked fears over next month’s Super Bowl, which comes less than 50 days later and is expected attract around 100,000 fans to New Orleans for the Chiefs-Eagles clash.

But Cathy Lanier, the NFL’s Chief Security Officer, said Wednesday that she believes ‘this team is ready’ after nearly two years of planning. 

‘We are really confident in our security plan going into the Super Bowl in New Orleans,’ she said. ‘We feel very confident that this team is ready.’

Lanier added: ‘I feel very confident that we’re going to the Super Bowl in an environment that people are going to feel comfortable, feel safe, and they’re going to enjoy the Super Bowl.’ 

The NFL's head of security insists she is 'really confident' in their Super Bowl security plan

The NFL’s head of security insists she is ‘really confident’ in their Super Bowl security plan 

Increased security measures have been put in place in New Orleans ahead of Super Bowl LIX

Increased security measures have been put in place in New Orleans ahead of Super Bowl LIX

The Chiefs, led by Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, will face the Eagles at the Superdome

The Chiefs, led by Patrick Mahomes and Travis Kelce, will face the Eagles at the Superdome

The Super Bowl has been given the second highest security rating possible by the Department of Homeland Security in the wake of the attack.

According to Fox 8, extensive security measures are already being installed near the Superdome – including fencing, tents and additional surveillance cameras.

It’s also claimed that new steel wedges have been placed at ‘key entry points’ off of Bourbon Street.

Lanier confirmed that the NFL’s plans had been altered following the tragedy, which ended with a shootout between Jabbar and law enforcement.

‘It’s natural to ask if we’ve changed things since the attacks on January 1, and of course, the short answer is yes,’ Lanier. 

‘We review, enhance and modify our our security plans based on the latest information that we have… in the weeks after the New Year’s Day attack, we have asked for and received some additional law enforcement support. 

‘So we did get some enhanced law enforcement support, and we’ve really polished up a robust intelligence information sharing plan with all of our partners, both at the federal and local level.’ 

Lanier also heaped praise on the ‘amazing’ law enforcement and emergency services in New Orleans. ‘They have demonstrated that they are capable, prepared and resilient,’ she said.

Related Posts

Super Bowl champ Saquon Barkley cozies up with Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and their son at tech summit

Super Bowl champ Saquon Barkley cozies up with Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump and their son at tech summit

Super Bowl-champion Saquon Barkley is getting the Tom Brady treatment after winning his first Lombardi Trophy with the Philadelphia Eagles back in February. The All-Pro running back…

Cleveland Browns mourn tragic pᴀssing of family member and ‘Hard Knocks’ star

Cleveland Browns mourn tragic pᴀssing of family member and ‘Hard Knocks’ star

The Cleveland Browns are mourning the loss of their beloved office dog, Moose, who pᴀssed away at 10 years old. On Thursday, the Browns shared the heartbreaking…

BREAKING NEWSChiefs sign two-time Super Bowl winner Mike Edwards

BREAKING NEWSChiefs sign two-time Super Bowl winner Mike Edwards

Veteran NFL safety Mike Edwards is returning to the Kansas City Chiefs on a one-year deal, according to reports. The 28-year-old, a third round draft pick in…

Bills star James Cook puts NFL on red alert by dropping mᴀssive exit hint

Bills star James Cook puts NFL on red alert by dropping mᴀssive exit hint

Bills star James Cook has put his Orchard Park home up for sale – fueling rumors that the running back could be on his way out of…

Brother of Taylor Swift dancer to host NFL LGBTQ day

Brother of Taylor Swift dancer to host NFL LGBTQ day

Saints star Khalen Saunders, whose brother is a backup dancer for Taylor Swift, is launching an LGBTQ-friendly youth football camp this summer. The two-time Super Bowl champion believes…

BREAKING NEWSDallas Cowboys trade for new quarterback amid Dak Prescott exit rumors

BREAKING NEWSDallas Cowboys trade for new quarterback amid Dak Prescott exit rumors

The Cowboys have agreed to a surprise trade for Patriots quarterback Joe Milton, according to multiple reports. Milton, 25, was a standout player in college for Tennessee…